Reuters | Feb 08, 2018 10:20
CANADA STOCKS-TSX flat as energy, earnings offset weak bank shares
Feb 8 (Reuters) - Canada's main stock index was little changed on Thursday as a decline in financials was offset by a firmer energy sector and gains in shares of BCE Inc BCE.TO after it reported quarterly results.
* At 10:03 a.m. ET (15:03 GMT), the Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index .GSPTSE edged up just 1.11 points, or 0.01 percent, at 15,331.69.
* Investors were assessing a number of earnings reports, while global markets remained cautious following Monday's slide. MKTS/GLOB
* BCE Inc BCE.TO was among the biggest lifts on the index, up 1.9 percent at C$57.77 after the telecom company's quarterly profit narrowly beat analysts' estimates. Shares of Suncor Energy SU.TO supported the energy sector, gaining 1.9 percent to C$43.25 after it reported higher fourth-quarter profit on stronger oil prices and lower costs. The energy group .SPTTEN climbed 1.2 percent. Elsewhere in the sector, MEG Energy MEG.TO jumped 23.1 percent to C$6.18 after it said it had agreed to sell some pipeline and storage assets in Alberta. On the downside, banks .SPTTFS slipped 0.2 percent, with Royal Bank of Canada RY.TO off 0.5 percent to C$100.57 and Toronto Dominion Bank TD.TO down 0.6 percent at C$71.3.
* Canada Goose Holdings GOOS.TO slumped 15.4 percent to C$40.47 after releasing its quarterly results. Thomson Reuters TRI.TO declined 1.6 percent to C$50.26 after the company beat Wall Street profit expectations in the fourth quarter but missed on revenue. The TSX posted 1 new 52-week highs and 5 new lows.
* Aurora Cannabis ACB.TO was among the most actively traded stocks up 0.5 percent at $11.20 after the cannabis company reported results. Volume on the TSX index was 32.27 million shares.
Written By: Reuters
Thank you for trying AMP!
You got lucky! We have no ad to show to you!
Trading in financial instruments and/or cryptocurrencies involves high risks including the risk of losing some, or all, of your investment amount, and may not be suitable for all investors. Prices of cryptocurrencies are extremely volatile and may be affected by external factors such as financial, regulatory or political events. Trading on margin increases the financial risks.
Before deciding to trade in financial instrument or cryptocurrencies you should be fully informed of the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, carefully consider your investment objectives, level of experience, and risk appetite, and seek professional advice where needed.
Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. The data and prices on the website are not necessarily provided by any market or exchange, but may be provided by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual price at any given market, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Fusion Media and any provider of the data contained in this website will not accept liability for any loss or damage as a result of your trading, or your reliance on the information contained within this website.
It is prohibited to use, store, reproduce, display, modify, transmit or distribute the data contained in this website without the explicit prior written permission of Fusion Media and/or the data provider. All intellectual property rights are reserved by the providers and/or the exchange providing the data contained in this website.
Fusion Media may be compensated by the advertisers that appear on the website, based on your interaction with the advertisements or advertisers.