Reuters | Feb 08, 2018 10:20
CANADA STOCKS-TSX flat as energy, earnings offset weak bank shares
Feb 8 (Reuters) - Canada's main stock index was little changed on Thursday as a decline in financials was offset by a firmer energy sector and gains in shares of BCE Inc BCE.TO after it reported quarterly results.
* At 10:03 a.m. ET (15:03 GMT), the Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index .GSPTSE edged up just 1.11 points, or 0.01 percent, at 15,331.69.
* Investors were assessing a number of earnings reports, while global markets remained cautious following Monday's slide. MKTS/GLOB
* BCE Inc BCE.TO was among the biggest lifts on the index, up 1.9 percent at C$57.77 after the telecom company's quarterly profit narrowly beat analysts' estimates. Shares of Suncor Energy SU.TO supported the energy sector, gaining 1.9 percent to C$43.25 after it reported higher fourth-quarter profit on stronger oil prices and lower costs. The energy group .SPTTEN climbed 1.2 percent. Elsewhere in the sector, MEG Energy MEG.TO jumped 23.1 percent to C$6.18 after it said it had agreed to sell some pipeline and storage assets in Alberta. On the downside, banks .SPTTFS slipped 0.2 percent, with Royal Bank of Canada RY.TO off 0.5 percent to C$100.57 and Toronto Dominion Bank TD.TO down 0.6 percent at C$71.3.
* Canada Goose Holdings GOOS.TO slumped 15.4 percent to C$40.47 after releasing its quarterly results. Thomson Reuters TRI.TO declined 1.6 percent to C$50.26 after the company beat Wall Street profit expectations in the fourth quarter but missed on revenue. The TSX posted 1 new 52-week highs and 5 new lows.
* Aurora Cannabis ACB.TO was among the most actively traded stocks up 0.5 percent at $11.20 after the cannabis company reported results. Volume on the TSX index was 32.27 million shares.
Written By: Reuters
Thank you for trying AMP!
You got lucky! We have no ad to show to you!
Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information contained within this website including data, quotes, charts and buy/sell signals. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible. Currency trading on margin involves high risk, and is not suitable for all investors. Trading or investing in cryptocurrencies carries with it potential risks. Prices of cryptocurrencies are extremely volatile and may be affected by external factors such as financial, regulatory or political events. Cryptocurrencies are not suitable for all investors. Before deciding to trade foreign exchange or any other financial instrument or cryptocurrencies you should carefully consider your investment objectives, level of experience, and risk appetite.
Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. All CFDs (stocks, indexes, futures), Forex and cryptocurrencies prices are not provided by exchanges but rather by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual market price, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Therefore Fusion Media doesn’t bear any responsibility for any trading losses you might incur as a result of using this data.
Fusion Media may be compensated by the advertisers that appear on the website, based on your interaction with the advertisements or advertisers.