Reuters | Feb 07, 2018 10:30
CANADA STOCKS-TSX gains modestly as financial, cannabis shares rise
Feb 7 (Reuters) - Canada's main stock index rose modestly on Wednesday, supported by gains in Manulife Financial MFC.TO and the banking sector, as well as a bounce-back in shares of cannabis companies.
* At 10:04 a.m. ET (15:04 GMT), the Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index .GSPTSE edged up 25.58 points, or 0.17 percent, at 15,389.51.
* The Toronto market was also following a cautiously upbeat tone on Wall Street after a global equities rout on Monday. .N
* Cannabis producers were among the most actively traded, including Canopy Growth WEED.TO , which was among the biggest advancers on the index, up 6.7 percent at C$30.73.
* Marijuana shares had come under pressure in recent weeks but have begun to perk back up. Aphria APH.TO rose 4.9 percent to C$17.45, while Aurora Cannabis ACB.TO rose 7.1 percent to C$12.35.
* Canada is in the process of legalizing recreational marijuana this year. The country's health minister said on Tuesday that cannabis will only go on sale a few months after it is legalized to give the provincial retail system time to start working properly. Manulife Financial rose 0.7 percent to C$25.27 after sources said it was weighing the sale of a number of U.S. insurance assets. The financials group .SPTTFS gained 0.2 percent. Toronto Dominion Bank TD.TO rose 0.3 percent to C$71.89, while Bank of Nova Scotia BNS.TO rose 0.2 percent to C$78.32.
* The TSX posted 1 new 52-week highs and 8 new lows. Across all Canadian issues there were 6 new 52-week highs and 18 new lows.
* Volume on the TSX index was 37.45 million shares.
Written By: Reuters
Thank you for trying AMP!
You got lucky! We have no ad to show to you!
Trading in financial instruments and/or cryptocurrencies involves high risks including the risk of losing some, or all, of your investment amount, and may not be suitable for all investors. Prices of cryptocurrencies are extremely volatile and may be affected by external factors such as financial, regulatory or political events. Trading on margin increases the financial risks.
Before deciding to trade in financial instrument or cryptocurrencies you should be fully informed of the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, carefully consider your investment objectives, level of experience, and risk appetite, and seek professional advice where needed.
Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. The data and prices on the website are not necessarily provided by any market or exchange, but may be provided by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual price at any given market, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Fusion Media and any provider of the data contained in this website will not accept liability for any loss or damage as a result of your trading, or your reliance on the information contained within this website.
It is prohibited to use, store, reproduce, display, modify, transmit or distribute the data contained in this website without the explicit prior written permission of Fusion Media and/or the data provider. All intellectual property rights are reserved by the providers and/or the exchange providing the data contained in this website.
Fusion Media may be compensated by the advertisers that appear on the website, based on your interaction with the advertisements or advertisers.